Sunday, October 26, 2008

A special moment with my girl...

I shared a significant place with my daughter Hope today.

We found ourselves in Yucaipa with about an hour to kill, so we took the kids to Wildwood Canyon Park. This is a special place to Heidi and I. The day we started dating we went to this park and talked for hours.

So today I took Hope for a little walk. As we strolled to a cement picnick table under a huge oak tree I explained to her, "The day your mom and I started dating, we came to this park. We had been best friends for a long time and we finally realized that we loved each other. We came here and spent hours talking and laughing and hugging."

As we approached the table under the tree I told her, "...and you see that table right there? That is the exact place where we sat."

We stopped and looked at the table for a few seconds before Hope shared her reaction to my story...

"Wow", she said, "That's an old table."

4 comments:

Kristi said...

How cool for you to go back there. How mean of Hope to remind you of how old you are! :o)

Rick said...

You're not that old. The place Jan and I went on our first date has been bulldozed

VikingMom said...

Nothing like a kid to put you in your place. Sorry to hear that your "table" is old!

discomommy said...

OK...this was so sweet I almost threw up. If Jon were to take Megan to our special place it would involve 2 packs of cigarettes, a lot of beer, bras on the ceiling and a declined credit card. How's that for romance??