Friday, May 16, 2008

Love Thoughts

Okay - Just in case you don't know about "Love Thoughts" it's this thing on KOST FM where somebody writes a sappy letter to their signif, and the sultry-voiced female deejay reads it on the air.  It's sickening and hokey, and until recently I didn't even know that they still did this.  

So I hop on the Main Street Shuttle at John Wayne Airport to get back to my car and get home. It's one of those shuttles configured so everyone sits around the sides facing the middle.  We pile in - all the seats are full, but nobody is standing in the middle.  We take off and the driver cranks the radio - almost uncomfortably loud - just in time - for a "KOST 103 Love Thought". I'm in a shuttle with a bunch of tired strangers; a few business men, a retired couple, a young married couple, you get the picture.  

It starts...

"Tonight's love thought is from Chuey in Yucaipa, and it's a special message for you Michelle...
Chuey says, 'I know that I can be difficult sometimes, but I want you to know that I have always loved you and there is a special place in my heart for you.  Your eyes - they remind me of the stars that shine in the night.  The smell of your hair is like...'"

It just gets worse and worse.  And it's the longest "Love Thought" ever.

Needless to say, things are really awkward on the shuttle.  Nobody is making eye-contact. Everybody is fidgeting.  Then I catch sight of the guy across from me.  His head is buried in his hand.  He's trying to contain himself.  Then it happens... I get the giggles.  I'm trying so hard to hold it in, but I can't help but look around at everyone else on the bus.

So awkward, so uncomfortable, so funny.  
I make eye contact with one of the businessmen just as the sultry voice continues, "...my heart aches to hold you..."

I loose it.  In a shuttle full of complete strangers I bust out laughing - followed by three others who did the same.  Then I had to explain what a "Love Thought" is to the people on the shuttle who had never heard one before.

It was fun.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Nothing says romance like the name Chuey.

VikingMom said...

Oh Chuy...I love how your name sounds when I chew. My Chuy Chew...I love you!

Chuy's better than names like Insomnio and Regulo. Billy has cousins with all of those names. And yes,the latter two mean exactly what they sound like.

Jon in HB said...

I knew a very large girl in high school named Rotonda! I kid you not.

What did the blonde and the Mexican name their kid?
Retardo.

I'm not sure who that is most offensive to, Blondes, Mexicans, or the mentally challenged. But when you've got an opportunity to kill three birds with one stone...take the shot!

discomommy said...

Man! I know all about those giggles. Unfortunately I get them every time someone falls down. Happened today at lunch. Dylan sat down and there was no chair there. I am laughing now just remembering! I can't help it. It's just silly when people fall!

Billy said...

Chuy is a nickname in Spanish for someone named Jesus.
I bet you will stop making fun of it now.

VikingMom said...

Billy is a party pooper.

Heidi said...

Billy is English for Guillermo. Does that mean we have to stop making fun of him now?

Jon in HB said...

I've got a guy that works for me named Temistocles, I just call him Amigo.

Zach said...

I'm surprised you don't know Chuey from Yucaipa. Sean V. wrote one of those for Alyson when we were in high school. Comedy.
Z